Roast Leg of Lamb
1h 35m (plus resting time)
1 bulb garlic, 3 cloves peeled and crushed, the others left whole
1 small bunch fresh rosemary, half the leaves removed and coarsely chopped, half in sprigs
zest of 1 lemon
2 kg quality leg of lamb
freshly ground black pepper
1.5 kg potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºC/gas 6 and place a roasting dish for the potatoes on the
- Mix the crushed garlic, chopped rosemary, lemon zest and olive oil together. Season the
lamb with salt and pepper and rub the marinade into it. Place on the hot bars of the oven
above the tray.
- Boil the potatoes, simmer for 10 minutes and scuff the edges. Add the rosemary sprigs and
whole garlic cloves, season with salt and pepper and drizzle over a good lug of olive oil. Tip
the potatoes into the tray and place under the lamb to catch all the lovely juices.
- To make the mint sauce, mix the chopped mint, sugar, salt, hot water and wine vinegar.
- Cook the lamb for about an hour and 15 minutes if you want it pink, or an hour and a half if
you want it more well done. Take it out of the oven and cover with tinfoil and leave for 15
minutes before serving. Carve and serve with the potatoes and mint sauce.